Grants entity Overview
The Grant entity provides a place in Community Connect where information about Grants – planned, pursued, won, lost, or historical – can be stored. The Account name, Program Name, and Campaign Year are associated with a Grant record, as is additional information like the duration of the Grant, Start & End Dates, the Ask amount, and the Status of the Grant.
Additional fields are provided for Reporting Requirements, Deliverables, and Budget.
Post Submission Activities are tracked in fields recording if a Thank You has been sent, and the date on which it was sent.
A Bill Alert section tracks the Bill Alert Date and the Bill Alert User.
Finally, a Notes field allows for free-form notes related to the Grant.
Accessing the Grant entity
To access the Grant entity, log into Community Connect. From the top of the screen, drop down the nav bar and select “RD”. Click the Grants icon to go into the entity.
Setting Grants as your default view when logging into Community Connect
It is possible to set Grants (or any entity in Community Connect) as your default view when launching Community Connect.
If you wish to set Grants as your default view, follow the steps below.
- Click the gear icon (“Settings”) to the right of your name at the top of the Community Connect screen to enter Settings.
- On the General tab, change the Default Pane to “RD”.
- Change the Default Screen to “Grants”.
- Click “OK” in the lower-right corner of the Settings pane.
Grant List View
Once you’ve access the Grants entity, the default view is a list view of all Active Grants. Additional views, such as “Inactive Grants” and including Personal Views, may be accessed by clicking the down-arrow next to the List View Title (in the screenshot below, “Active Grants” is the List View Title – note the down-arrow to the right of the words “Active Grants”).
If you prefer a different default personal View, select that View from the down-arrow next to the List View Title. When the View has loaded, click the push-pin icon to the left of the List View Title to mark that as your personal default view. Any time you access the Grant entity, your personal default view will display. Please note: This is your personal view only; it does not change the default view for any other users.
From the default List View, all Active Grants are displayed with the following fields:
- Name of the Grant.
- The date on which the Grant record was created in Community Connect.
The top of the screen shows the blue nav bar, below which are specific functions for this list. Based on your access, you may not see all of these. You can create a “New” Grant record, “Delete” selected Grant record(s), “Run a Report”, “Export to Excel”, or “Import Data”. Additional commands are found under the “…” menu.
Grant Record View
Click any Grant to open it and you can view the details or edit the Grant. When you open an existing Grant, the screen will look like this:
The top of the screen shows the blue nav bar, below which are specific functions for this entity. You can create a “New” Grant record, “Deactivate” the displayed Grant record or “Delete” it, “Assign” it to another user, or “Share” with others. You can “Email a Link” to this record, or “Run Workflow”. Additional commands are found under the “…” menu.
Below those functions is the name of the Grant (in the screenshot above, the name is “2015 – Grants – Abbott Nutrition – Project Diversity”). Below that are sections comprising the Grant record. The sections are:
- Account: Look up the Account associated with the Grant.
- Program: Look up the Grant program associated with this Grant.
- New: Is this a New Grant? Defaults to “No”.
- Type: From the drop-down list, select the Type of Grant this is. Possible options include:
- Grant Status: From the drop-down list, select the Grant Status. Possible options include:
- LOI submitted
- Pending (default when a new Grant record is created)
- Ask: The amount in dollars of the Grant ask.
- Primary Contact: This is the primary United Way Contact for this Grant record.
- Secondary Contact: This is the secondary United Way Contact for this Grant record.
- Campaign Year: The Campaign Year with which this Grant is associated.
- Multi-Year: If this Grant is multi-year, select the duration from the drop-down list. If the Grant is one year only, select “1 Year”.
- Start Date & End Date: Set the Start and End Dates of the Grant from these fields.
- Previous Year Support: How much money, in dollars, was received from this Grant in the previous year.
- Writer: Define the United Way User who is the writer of this Grant application.
- Budget Owner 1 & 2: Define the United Way User who is/are the Budget Owner(s).
- Manager: Define the United Way User who is the manager of this Grant application.
- Reporting Requirements:
- Report Type: This is a free-form text field where you can define or review the type of Report that is required.
- Report Due Date: Define the due date of the Report in this date field.
- Report Owner: Define the United Way User who is the Owner of the Report.
- Fiscal Report: Is this a Fiscal Report? Select “Yes” or “No”.
- Deliverable 1-4: Free-form text fields where you can define or review the deliverables required for this Grant.
- Owner of Deliverables: Define the United Way User who is the Owner of the Deliverables.
- Key Budget Items Total: The total of all the Costs associated with this Grant.
- Key Budget Item 1-3: In this free-form text field, define or review the budget items associated with this Grant.
- Key Budget Item 1-3 Cost: List the costs associated with the Key Budget Items in these currency fields.
- Post Submission Activities:
- Thank You Sent & Thank You Sent Date: The Thank You Sent field is a “Yes” or “No” field indicating if a Thank You has been sent. Once the Thank You has been sent, set the field to “Yes” and indicate the Date on which the Thank You was sent in the Thank You Sent Date field.
- Grant Payment Received: This field, which defaults to blank, allows tracking of if the Grant Payment has been received or not. Click the field to toggle the values between “No” and “Yes”.
- Attachments/Notes: This field provides free-form text space where notes about this Grant can be stored.
- Bill Alert:
- Bill Alert Date: This is the date on which an email Alert will be sent to the Bill Owner (see below) reminding them that the bill is due.
- Bill Alert User: Define or review the United Way User who is the Bill Alert Owner.
Adding a New Grant
As you find new Grant prospects, they should be added to Community Connect. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click “+ New” in the top-left corner to create a new record.
- In the blank record that appears, enter all necessary information (Account, Program to Fund, Grant Status, etc.)
- Required fields are marked with a red asterisk (“*”). For example, “Name” is a required field.
- All uploaded Grants follow the naming standard of: Campaign Year – Grants – Account Name – Funded Program (for example, “2015 – Grants – Bob Evans – Project Diversity”).
Updating a Grant
As additional information is received, it will be necessary to update the Grant record. Follow these steps to add new information to an existing Grant:
- Select the Grant record you wish to update.
- Click “Edit” in the top-left corner.
- Edit all fields that you can. Down in the bottom right, you can click the tiny disk icon to save your changes, though they will be automatically saved when you leave the record.