Need to enter, sort, filter and make a chart/graph of your data?
Here are some basic steps for adding and sorting data.
Follow these steps:
Enter data in a worksheet
- Select the cell where you want to enter data.
- Type the data in the cell.
- Press Enter or Tab to move to the next cell.
Filter your data
- Select the data you want to filter.
- On the Data tab, in the Sort & Filter group, click Filter.
- Click the arrow in the column header to display a list in which you can make filter choices.
- To select by values, in the list, clear the (Select All) check box. This removes the check marks from all the check boxes. Then, select only the values you want to see, and click OK to see the results.
Sorting your data
To quickly sort your data
- Select a range of data, such as A1:L5 (multiple rows and columns) or C1:C80 (a single column). The range can include titles that you created to identify columns or rows.
- Right click any cell and select Sort.
- Select one of the below options.
- Sort A to Z
- Sort Z to A
To sort by specific criteria
- Select a single cell anywhere in the range that you want to sort.
- On the Data tab, in the Sort & Filter group, choose Sort. The Sort dialog box appears.
- In the Sort by list, select the first column on which you want to sort.
- In the Sort On list, select either Values, Cell Color, Font Color, or Cell Icon.
- In the Order list, select the order that you want to apply to the sort operation — alphabetically or numerically ascending or descending (that is, A to Z or Z to A for text or lower to higher or higher to lower for numbers).
Chart your data
- Select the data that you want to chart.
- On the Insert tab, in the Charts group, click the chart type that you want to use, and then click a chart subtype.
- Use the Chart Tools to add chart elements such as titles and data labels, and to change the design, layout, or format of your chart.